About the GWU
Our purpose as an organization is as follows:
- To regulate the terms and conditions of employment between its members and the employers with whom it has collective bargaining relationships.
- To obtain for all members the best possible standards of compensation and other conditions of employment through the collective bargaining relationship it has with the employers.
- To represent, protect, maintain and advance the interests of its members and to ensure that its members are treated justly in their dealings with their employers.
- To organize the unorganized.
- To directly or indirectly promote and further the interests of its members and of working people through social, cultural, financial and educational services.
- To strengthen the Union and its membership by promoting the unity and solidarity of unions and their members.
- To adhere to human rights principals and to the principals of non-discrimination in its dealings with its members.
- To support and carry out the purposes and policies of the Union.
- To practice true democracy within the Union.
- To end occupational injury and disease and to promote health and safety in the workplace.